Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Kick Push Kick Push Kick Push Kick Push and Coassssssst

Aw man I can't get that Lupe Fiasco song outta my head!

So I just had to go watch the video, naturally.

Anyhow, it is a refreshing change from most of the crap titled as hip-hop.

Let me break it down for you...

In true hip-hop style, that video is budget. It was probably shot for $3.50 and a pack of orange tic tacs, just like the good ole days before the industry got behind the genre and got its commercialized hooks all up in it.

Music production is the focus. The song has some of the most 1992 beats I've heard since well 1992. Lupe has a nice flow and actually weaves a nice little narritive together rather than spitting about the rims on his car. I would say he reminds me of Slick Rick, but I recently read that he is inspired by none other than Johnny Cash and his story telling style of music.

Finally, either as non-conformist or a deviant saying FU he takes something generally outside his culture and makes it his. I'm not saying there aren't any brothers who skateboard, I'm just saying they are about as common as white rappers used to be.

Regardless, there just maybe some hope for hip hop afterall.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude, that is a money song. Lupe is a pimp.