Wednesday, January 25, 2006

I'm pretty sure that's a first...



So the other day, me and meladyfriend crawled down a laundry-shoot sized shaft into the center chamber of the Red Pyramid in Dashur. The air was ripe with anominia-esque musk of guano. It was eeirly quiet. That is until I bellowed out "ANDIE! YOU GOONIE!"


I couldn't help myself cause based on visual inspection of the interior, I was pretty much convinced that's where they shot the well scene. The acoustic qualities of my voice echoing throughout the chamber only confirmed my hypothesis.

So, what else have I been up to?

I've come close to being run down like forrest gump on average 3.2 times per day. Traffic patterns here are much like Calcutta, only with better roads. The guide book describes it as the chariot scene from Ben Hur only with Fiats, Ladas, and Skodas (those are common egyptian cars).

I made a trip to the Egyptian museum and saw King Tut's booty. Let me clarify, I saw King Tut's treasure, not his ass. They charge extra for that.

I had a can of "Batman Blast" soda which tasted unnaturally gross.

For lunch I went to Felfela. As far as reviews go, the jury is out on that place as to whether it is a tourist trap or good Egyptian eats. Honestly, it's a little of both, and personally, I think it's good to be on the safe side with the food. I had Fuul (think of refried beans --before they were refried doused with oil, onions and garlic), Tahina (paste made from sesame seeds and spices), Shammy (pita bread) and Ta'amiya (a fried patty of mashed fava beans). The jury is still out on my breath after a meal like that. I think it can either cure cancer or perhaps cause it.

Well I am going to go watch the Oliver Giessen Show. It's like Jerry Springer, but in German.

Later tonight a once in a lifetime boat ride on the Nile.

No comments: